Woodside


Woodside
   1) WOODSIDE, lately a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Old Machar, city, district, and county of Aberdeen; containing 4839 inhabitants. This place, which derives its name from the seat of the principal landed proprietor, was separated for ecclesiastical purposes from Old Machar, and erected into a quoad sacra parish, by act of the General Assembly in 1834. The district is nearly two miles in length and about a mile and a quarter in breadth, is bounded on the north by the river Don, and consists principally of three contiguous villages, extending along the line of the great north road; the principal is Woodside, and the others are called respectively Cotton and Tanfield. These villages, which are neatly built, and lighted with gas from the works at Aberdeen, consists of detached houses, and a few small streets intersecting the turnpike-road at right angles; and are inhabited mostly by persons employed at the Grandholm works in the vicinity, and in the spinning and weaving of cotton in the village of Woodside. The cotton-works were erected by Messrs. Gordon, Barron, and Company, of Aberdeen, who also established a printing and a bleach field here; they are driven by a water-wheel of 180-horse power, and by a steam-engine lately erected, and afford employment to 960 persons, of whom fifty-six are children of less than thirteen, and 312 between thirteen and eighteen, years of age. Many of the population are also occupied in granite quarries, which are extensively wrought for exportation; and within a mile, a mine of manganese, recently discovered, was for a time wrought.
   A post-office under that of Aberdeen has been established; and facility of communication is afforded by the turnpike-road to Aberdeen and Inverury, which traverses the valley of the Don in a direction nearly parallel with the road. The scenery is pleasingly diversified by the windings of the river, and the adjacent country abounds with interesting scenery. The Don contains trout and salmon; and fisheries were formerly established on it, but they are gradually diminishing in value. Woodside House, the seat of Patrick Kilgour, Esq., is a plain modern mansion, on the west bank of the Don; Hilton, the property of Sir William Johnstone, Bart., situated on a rising ground commanding a fine view of the city of Aberdeen, is an ancient mansion in the cottage style, rapidly falling into decay. The ecclesiastical affairs were under the superintendence of the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen; the first minister, who was chosen by the male communicants of the congregation, had a stipend of £150, secured by bond. The church, erected in 1829, at a cost of £2100, is a handsome structure in the Grecian style, and of the Doric order, containing 1500 sittings; it is lighted with gas, and attached to it are a vestry, and a session-room capable of containing 100 persons. It is now held by the Free Church, and the members of the Establishment are erecting an elegant chapel of ease. At the village of Cotton is a place of worship for Independents; and there is also in the district a small Gaelic meetinghouse. A school was erected in 1837, and is supported by subscription; it affords instruction to 150 children, and has a small library. A public library, in which is a collection of 1200 volumes, is also maintained; and a library, connected with the Free Church, has nearly 600 volumes. There are likewise a school connected with the factory at Woodside, and several Sunday schools in which are more than 600 children.
   2) WOODSIDE, a village, in the parish of Markinch, district of Kirkcaldy, county of Fife; containing 135 inhabitants. It is one of nine villages in the parish, of which the population has latterly increased, owing to the extension or introduction of various manufactures.
   3) WOODSIDE, a village, in the parish of Largo, district of St. Andrew's, county of Fife; containing 108 inhabitants. This small village is situated in the interior of the parish.
   4) WOODSIDE, a village, in the parish of Cargill, county of Perth; containing 169 inhabitants. This, and Burreltown, are contiguous villages, situated on the high road from Perth to Cupar-Angus, and distant about two miles and a half from the latter place, and four from the parish church. At Burreltown are a chapel of ease, a place of worship for members of the Free Church, and a school; and in this village is also a school, to which is attached a small library.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Woodside — is the name of several places or entities in the English speaking world: Australia *Woodside, South Australia, a town *Woodside, Victoria, a town *Woodside Petroleum, an Australian company Canada *Woodside, Nova Scotia, a neighborhood in… …   Wikipedia

  • Woodside — ist der Name mehrerer Orte in Australien Woodside (South Australia) Woodside (Victoria) in Neuseeland Woodside (Otago) Woodside (Wellington) in den Vereinigten Staaten: Woodside (Delaware) Woodside (Kalifornien) Woodside (Louisiana) Woodside… …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Woodside — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Woodside Bandera …   Wikipedia Español

  • Woodside — Woodside, CA U.S. town in California Population (2000): 5352 Housing Units (2000): 2030 Land area (2000): 11.759602 sq. miles (30.457227 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 11.759602 sq. miles… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Woodside, CA — U.S. town in California Population (2000): 5352 Housing Units (2000): 2030 Land area (2000): 11.759602 sq. miles (30.457227 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 11.759602 sq. miles (30.457227 sq. km)… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Woodside, DE — U.S. town in Delaware Population (2000): 184 Housing Units (2000): 72 Land area (2000): 0.162739 sq. miles (0.421491 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.162739 sq. miles (0.421491 sq. km) FIPS code …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Woodside, PA — U.S. Census Designated Place in Pennsylvania Population (2000): 2575 Housing Units (2000): 799 Land area (2000): 1.022356 sq. miles (2.647889 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.022356 sq. miles (2 …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Woodside — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Woodside est le nom de nombreux lieux et entités : Sommaire 1 Royaume Uni 2 États Unis …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Woodside — 1 Original name in latin Woodside Name in other language Woodside State code AU Continent/City Australia/Adelaide longitude 34.95433 latitude 138.87901 altitude 369 Population 1969 Date 2012 02 28 2 Original name in latin Woodside Name in other… …   Cities with a population over 1000 database

  • woodside — noun The side of a wood; the land that borders a wood. The action was commenced by emulous skirmishers, who crawled from the woodsides, and annoyed each other from coverts of ridge, stump, and stone heap …   Wiktionary


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.